Frankopan princes have built nine castles in the region formerly known as Vinodol Princedom (Vinodolska knežija), whose representatives were the signatories to the Vinodol Code (Vinodolski zakonik) dating from 1288. Three of the nine mentioned castles, namely Bribir, Grižane and Drivenik, are found in the territory of present-day Vinodol, same as the ancient castle of Badanj.
Badanj Castle has been erected on the foundations of an ancient fort and its rulers commanded the area stretching from the heart of Vinodol to the coast. Drivenik Castle is the most well-preserved and attractive castle in the Vinodol area, situated close to the Church of St. Domnius (Crkva Sv. Duje) and St. Stephen’s (Crkva Sv. Stjepana) on a hill above Lake Tribalj. Grižane Castle was built on and named after karst cliffs locally known as griže. Today only the remnants of Grižane Castle walls remind of the famous past of the village of Grižane. Only a square tower dating from 1302 and part of the town walls have been preserved from the former Bribir Castle since, in the 19th century, a school and a municipal building were built at the former castle site.
For more information please visit: