The Church of the Assumption of Mary
Osor, “the small eternal town”, is on a peninsula which connects (and which the Kavunada channel divides) the islands of Lošinj and Cres. Osor has a 4,000 year long complex cultural and spiritual tradition. From its beginnings in ancient times to today, the Osor Diocese (from the 6th century, until it was abolished in 1828) enriched and supplemented this tradition. The story of the Cathedral is based on: the Osor graveyard, the Chapel of Saint Mary (6th century), the remnants of the old Cathedral that were found at the location of today’s graveyard and towards the main square, and the three-lobed façade of the new Cathedral (completed in the Renaissance style in 1497). The lunette portal with the statue of the Virgin with Child in her arms, the Baroque main altar dedicated to the Assumption of Mary (17th century), the Osor sanctuary, the grave of Saint Gaudentius, patron of Osor, the painting of Our Lady of the Rosary (17th century) and Our Lady of Mount Carmel (19th century), the Stations of the Cross (1989) with works by modern Croatian artists, the Cathedral treasury and the bell tower (16th century) are only a few of the treasures that visitors simply must see.

Of particular note:

Osor- the city of music, Osor Musical Evenings (since 1976) in July and August
The city museum in the old Council Hall, collection of stone monuments and archaeological collection
Sacral museum collection, in the Cathedral and Bishop’s palace
A row of statues (from 1977) in the open, the work of Croatian sculptors (bronze casts)


Mali Lošinj Tourism Association
tel. 051/231 547

Osor Parish Office
tel. 051/237 112

Feast day of Saint Gaudentius (1 June)
Feast of the Assumption (15 August)

Mass: from Easter to Christmas, Sunday at 9:00
For viewing of the Cathedral and treasury, please contact the Parish office

Private accommodations, camps, hotels (Mali Lošinj)

Cathedral publications:
by author Branko Fučić